Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Enchanter

A couple of months ago, something kind of strange happened. It was my birthday. A former, casual sort of boyfriend of mine called to see what I was doing and as it happened, I was out with a girlfriend, but the evening was kind of a bust, being the night before Thanksgiving. 

My former casual boyfriend invited me to come to the bar where he was, telling me there was someone he wanted me to meet. Okay. We had nothing better to do. My girlfriend and I went. 

My former casual boyfriend introduced me to a friend of his: a retired English literature teacher. Said former boyfriend knew I was a sucker for intelligence. We listened to music, the four of us, danced, laughed, and went out for breakfast at 1 a.m. like we were still kids. 

So I started casually seeing the retired teacher and two months later, here I am in what appears to be a relationship.

Why?
Because this is not your typical boy. Forgive the following clichés, but they’re true.

This is a once in a lifetime boy whose feathers don’t ruffle, and yet his rivers run deep. He is wise and funny and understanding and caring and he appeared just when I was giving up hope that such a man existed.

He’s not a wine drinker, but I guess you can’t have everything.

So I just wanted to let you know, in case you’ve been following along, that things are looking up.

I have learned one important lesson in the last six months, and that is that life is short and precious and that it is lived one moment at a time. 

I’d rather live those moments with someone who matters to me or live them alone.


I’m happy for the former. 




You can follow me on Twitter: @CeceliaHalbert

No comments:

Post a Comment