Saturday, January 18, 2014

"Her" - A Movie Review - Sort Of

Tonight, for a change of pace…  a movie review.  Sort of.

For the first time in my life, I went to a movie by myself tonight. 

That’s not a statement about my current state of affairs (or lack of affairs). It’s more a statement of how little time I have to go to movies, however, it’s interesting that this is the movie I chose to go to alone. Physically alone, anyway. 

I have a long list of films I’d like to see, but I went to see “Her” on the advice of my favorite sommelier, Ivan.

As you may or may not know, “Her” is a story, to put it simply, of a man who falls in love with his intuitive, interactive, intelligent operating system named Samantha.

That’s putting it simply. But it’s not that simple.

Most reviews I read talked about the unnerving possibility that technology could actually reach the all-too-possible point that it does in Spike Jonze’s slightly sci-fi feature. 

That topic, however, has been covered: 2001 A Space Odyssey. Wall-E. Among others.

Personally, I think Spike Jonze is smarter than that. He’s using the technology aspect to take a good hard look at what is important in a relationship and how difficult it is to move on after losing someone you love. He’s exploring the human capacity for love in some pretty unusual circumstances. 

It’s about moving on, moving through and just living. 

As Samantha said, “The past is just a story we tell ourselves.”


And “Her” is a story not to be missed. It’s stunningly beautiful, uncomfortably funny, and incredibly thought-provoking. Go see it.


You can follow me on Twitter: @CeceliaHalbert

No comments:

Post a Comment