Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wine, Whine, Wine

-->
It occurred to me recently that I haven’t gone a day without a glass of wine for quite some time. I enjoy wine - dry reds in particular.

Wine is a luxury, yet even in my divorce-imposed frugality I figure out ways to keep a bottle in the house. I don’t buy expensive wines and I would rather do without a lot of other things… like heat, for instance - than to forego my evening glass of Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz. I'm thankful that the love of my life shares my fondness for the fermented grape. Our evening ritual of pouring each other a glass is a nightly reminder of how important we are to each other.

Last night my beautiful and talented thirteen-year-old daughter dissolved into a heap on the living room floor, wailing over a boy. My eleven year old son (who happens to have Asperger’s or whatever they’re calling it today) whined that she was ‘having emotions.’  He put on headphones and played Minecraft on his computer while my daughter and I worked through the rise and fall of her adolescent yet very real romance. I made her a chocolate milkshake.

And I had a glass of wine.


Visit me on Twitter (@CeceliaHalbert) or Facebook (Up the Hill by Cecelia Halbert

No comments:

Post a Comment