Sunday, December 23, 2012

On the Eve of Christmas Eve

 I’ve presents wrapped but not enough.
The money’s tight; the times are tough.
The spread beneath the tree looks thin
It won’t be long til disappointment sets in.

The holiday stress has taken its toll
There are some things I can’t control.
I’ve had to change my point of view.
I’ve done the best that I can do.

Tradition, though, will not be lost.
I’ve been resourceful, defrayed some cost.
Like every year, we’ll have our ham,
The cinnamon buns and rolls with jam.

 
We’ll open presents while we feast
I’ll cross my fingers and hope at least
That it’s enough that we’re together
Despite the year we’ve had to weather.

I count my blessings. My gifts are many,
For there are those who don’t have any.
And though my kids have less this year,
We never lack for love ‘round here.
 

You can follow me on Twitter @ceceliahalbert 

No comments:

Post a Comment