Friday, December 13, 2013

On Writing

I haven't written anything but blog posts for a long time.

I was halfway through the sequel to Up the Hill when the plans for the second half went up in smoke. Not knowing where to go with it, I put it on the back burner.

While it was back there simmering, I pulled Up the Hill out of publication for editing, but life events got in the way and I haven't gotten back to that either.

And then the other day I came across this:

Before last summer, I didn't even know who Joss Whedon was. I'm not a big fan of action movies or vampires. But then I was listening to NPR one day and heard an interview with someone talking about Shakespeare in such an accessible and enlightening way that I sat in my car in my garage for a half hour because I couldn't stop listening until the interview was over. It was Joss Whedon.

Adding to his credibility, I learned he'd written the screenplay for Toy Story - one of my favorite movies of all time.  I looked him up on IMDb and my, what an immpressive list of credits he has to his name. I went to see his film adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. I loved it. I'm now one of Joss Whedon's biggest fans.

So anyway...

I saw this quote and remembered why I write.

And as painful as it was, I opened up the manuscript to Up the Hill and started reading and editing and bringing those characters back to life and facing all those things I'm afraid of exploring.

Because that is why I write and that is where I find strength. Thanks for putting it so eloquently, Joss.


You can follow me on Twitter: @CeceliaHalbert



No comments:

Post a Comment