Friday, September 20, 2013

Back to Square One

I’m in major editing mode. 

I hate that. I hate when I think I have everything figured out and I think I know where I’m going and then something happens and I have to go back and start over. I was so sure I knew where I was going that I was halfway through the sequel. 

It’s not just the sequel that needs to be completely reworked, I’m going to have to rethink the whole first book. 

Turning point.

I have options. I could just chuck it all and forget that I’m a writer. I don’t have to be a writer. I could be something else, but probably not. 

Or - I could throw it all away and work on something completely different. The trash can is looking rather inviting and there’s something freeing about throwing things away. Very tempting. A clean sheet of paper holds endless opportunities. 

Or - I could seize the opportunity to take what I think was pretty good work and look at it with fresh eyes and a different heart and I could take it to a better place. 

Life imitates art. Or is it the other way around? I always forget.

This is why I’m a writer - because editing is always an option.

And so is writing a whole new story.


You can follow me on Twitter: @ceceliahalbert


3 comments:

  1. those options aren't mutually exclusive. you can have it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just wrap my head around that one for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete