Friday, November 29, 2013

A Fifty-something’s Unstructured Day Off

It’s the day after Thanksgiving and I don’t have to work today. My kids are at their dad’s house. I refuse to go anywhere near a retail establishment with the possible exception of my wine store, therefore I have time to get a lot of things done around the house. Here’s how my day is going so far:

I wake up at 7:30 but laze around in bed watching Good Morning America until 8:30, long enough for my dog to do in the house what she should have done outside but I was too lazy to get up and let her out.

I roll out of bed and shuffle to the kitchen in my robe and slippers, take the carpet cleaning solution from under the sink and pre-treat the carpet. I put water in the coffee maker, then notice the bucket of water that’s sitting on the counter that I need to add to the fish tank, so I go add the water to the fish tank which is next to the couch in the family room and I notice that my son has left a pile of string cheese wrappers on the coffee table.

I pick up the wrappers and take them to the garbage can in the kitchen, which is next to the empty dog food bowl. I get the Tupperware dog food container out of the cabinet and it’s empty too. In the garage, I keep a big bag of dog food from which I refill the Tupperware container so I go out to the garage (luckily the garage door is closed and the neighbors can’t see me in my robe and slippers) and I remember that I’d left a bag of clothes in the car that a friend had given me for my son. I set down the dog food container and get the bag of clothes out of the car and take them to my son’s room where I notice that the smell of teenage boy is quite overpowering so I set down the bag of clothes and strip the olfactory-offending sheets off of his bed.

I take the sheets down to the basement and put them in the washing machine and start it up and grab the sweaters I’d left on the drying rack last week and I take them upstairs to the dining room table where I fold laundry but my daughter’s art projects are covering the table, so I put the sweaters on the chair and I pile up the art projects and carry them up to her bedroom where I discover all of the juice glasses and spoons that have been missing for weeks. 

I gather up the dirty dishes and carry them down to the kitchen and put them in the dishwasher that, thankfully, is close to the coffeepot and I remember that I’d started making coffee an hour earlier. This reminds me that I had also pre-treated the carpet, so I abandon the coffee-making again and go get the carpet cleaner and fill the tank with hot water and while I’m cleaning the spot that needed to be cleaned, I notice that the rest of the carpet is looking dingy, so I continue to clean the rest of the carpet in the room and while I’m slowly pushing and pulling the carpet shampooer across the floor I realize I haven’t written a blog post this week, so I turn off the machine and go sit down at my computer, but my reading glasses aren’t on the top of my head like they usually are.

My collection of reading glasses have a tendency to all end up in one area of the house, so now I just have to figure out where that is. The repository is usually on my nightstand, so I go back upstairs to my bedroom. I walk into to my bedroom and can’t remember what I was looking for so I go back to the computer and smack my forehead because when I look at the blurry screen I immediately remember why I had just gone up to my bedroom.

I also notice there is a pair of reading glasses on the table next to my computer.

And now it’s almost noon and I’m still in my robe and slippers with a no-caffeine headache and there’s a pile of sweaters that I’m either going to have to steam or put back in the washer and the dog is sitting next to her empty dog dish staring at me.

But I finished writing my blog post. 



You can follow me on Twitter: @ceceliahalbert




No comments:

Post a Comment