Thursday, February 21, 2013

By Popular Demand

My 10 Reds Under $10 List:


This is not my usual style of blogging but I’ve been keeping a list recently of wines under $10 that I like and I thought I’d share for others like me who’ve found that their monthly wine expenditures necessitate significant budget adjustments in order to accommodate the practice of a nightly glass (or two) of drinkable wine.

I am not a sommelier. I'm not a wine writer. I don't even know what I'm doing, really, but I know what I like. Research is ongoing. There is no particular order.

Found Object Syrah 2011 (Trader Joe’s) Got it for 4.99 and it’s surprisingly good.
Alto Almanzora Este 2009 Paid 6.99 for it at Binny’s. Bought a case. Loved it. The orange corks though? Meh.
Alamos Malbec 2011 Widely available for less than $10 and always a pleasure.
Bodegas Tres Picos Borsao Garnacha Again - 6.99 at Binny’s. I think. Maybe 7.99. Nice change of pace.
Castle Rock 2011 Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley) On sale once in a while for 9.99, so it made the list. I can usually find it for 12.99 and it’s still a good value. Don’t mistake it for the Mendocino County bottle.
Block Nine Pinot Noir 2011 Wine Discount Center. 9.99. Delcious. Hard to find a Pinot for under $10, but I love this. Not as complex as higher priced Pinots, but yummy just the same.
Bacán Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 - 6.99 at Whole Foods. Surprisingly good for 6.99.
Concha Y Toro Xlporador Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 Oh my God. Got this for 7.99 at Fresh Market and was amazed at how wonderful it was. I might have to move to Chile.
Ravenswood Petite Syrah Vintner’s Blend 2010 The only Ravenswood I can drink. It’s pretty good.
Dancing Bull Zinfandel - A sentimental favorite. You’ll have to read Up the Hill to find out why. 

Sidebar. If you're going to splurge for the Oscars and have an all-out Up the Hill night - find the Benton Lane First Class Reserve Pinot Noir 2009. That'll cost you. Hope you can find a statuette to complete the experience. Make sure you have some Whitney Houston playing in the background. 



Visit me on Twitter (@CeceliaHalbert

No comments:

Post a Comment