Friday, August 15, 2014

The Boys of Summer

I spent a lot of time reading tweets this week and not so much time posting or responding. It was a week full of difficult news. Robin Williams' death hit me like a ton of bricks and I’m still getting weepy every time I see a tribute or video or even just his picture.

Wednesday night I watched, via Twitter, the frightening live feed of police attacking peaceful protesters in Ferguson, Missouri.

I read about refugees and children in horrible circumstances all over the world. 

Every day there’s a story about violence on the streets of Chicago. 

But then… I read about these boys of summer. Twelve and thirteen year old boys from the south side of Chicago who are doing something spectacular. 

They’re playing baseball. 

They’re playing baseball with heart and soul and amazing talent and it’s gotten them to the Little League World Series in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania and more than that, it’s gotten Chicago up on its feet, cheering them on.



I wasn’t at the huge outdoor viewing party at Jackie Robinson Field on Sunday made possible by the city along with the Chicago White Sox. I watched the game on ESPN in my living room, but I felt like I was part of the crowd anyway. Everyone, even out here in the suburbs, is talking about these boys with the same pride and enthusiasm they’d have for any of Chicago’s pro sports teams. 

Cubs fans are ready to sign Pierce Jones up now. He went four for four, hitting three home runs and a triple in their opener then talked to the press with a brilliant smile and the poise of a seasoned pro.

The next game for Jackie Robinson West, representing the Great Lakes region, is on Sunday. Want to restore your faith in humanity? Watch these kids play ball. 





You can follow me on Twitter: @CeceliaHalbert

No comments:

Post a Comment