Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Love and I

I didn’t expect to love wine this much. 

In college, I spent a lot of time with cheap beer and tequila. A lot of time. That’s what you do in college because money is scarce and fun is a priority and cheap beer and tequila are easily had. 

I liked beer and tequila a lot. I really thought we’d always be together, but eventually my tastes changed. I got tired of the hangovers, the late nights, the loud parties. I wanted more out of life and the cheap beer and tequila weren’t doing anything for me anymore.

I went for years without any sort of spirits. I had kids. A job. I focused on those those parts of my life, but something was missing…

Then one rare night out, someone introduced me to a cabernet. Seductive, rich, complicated… intoxicating. I was infatuated.
Over time, my relationship with wine deepened. Never-ending nuances to discover held my attention and, on occasion, surprised me. I fell in love with wine. 

And now, years later, I still sit down at the end of the day with a glass of wine. Some days, just looking forward to that moment when it touches my lips makes everything else bearable. 

I think you call that love. 



You can follow me on Twitter: @CeceliaHalbert

No comments:

Post a Comment