Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Happy Birthday, America!





My friends know how much I hate holidays. I despise, loathe, detest, and abhor holidays. Anxiety and dread build far in advance and in direct proportion to the glut of advertising related to the specified day. If, however, you withheld my wine until I chose a favorite one, I would have to say it's Independence Day.

Rare is the person who is offended when you wish him (or her) a happy holiday on the 4th of July. I would imagine that perhaps some Native Americans don’t love this holiday and that’s understandable. It’s interesting to imagine what might’ve happened in North America had Columbus not gotten lost, but that’s a whole ‘nother topic.

The British seem to have gotten over the big break - up. You'd think there would be some resentment there, but we’re all good now. My UK friends even wish me a happy Independence Day and one such friend has even visited here to experience the event in person. 

I love that there’s no big debate between the religious right and the agnostic left about the use of the word ‘holiday’ for the 4th of July as there is on other occasions. There’s nobody telling me to put the Christ back in Independence. In fact, there’s independence in Independence.

It's okay to say "God Bless America" if you want to without fear of offending anyone except perhaps an atheist, but even atheists seem to brush that greeting off with good nature on the Fourth of July. Most people are happy to sing or listen to patriotic music on Independence Day, even if there’s a reference to God. The God of Independence Day seems to cross borders and speak different languages and subscribe equally to different theologies. 

Speaking of patriotic music - I still don’t quite understand why the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky  is so popular on America’s birthday. It wasn’t even written with the American War of 1812 in mind. It was written to commemorate a battle in 1812 between France and Russia. But we Americans like the cannons at the end, I guess, and it’s a pretty rousing piece of music that pairs well with explosions in the air and alcohol on the ground, which brings up reason number two why I like the 4th of July.

Reason number two: alcohol consumption is encouraged. Where I live, there is a hundred-year-old parade that I haven’t missed since I moved to town nine years ago. We claim our territories along the curbs with tarps and plastic chairs a day in advance and on the morning of the 4th we set out tables on our lawns to hold brunchy food and bottles of champagne and orange juice. Then, dressed in our red, white, and blue, with tiny American flags in our hands, we sit in our chairs along the curb sipping mimosas and watching the fire engines, the Shriners, the marching bands, and the politicians walk buy while our kids dive into the street after Jolly Ranchers and Tootsie Rolls.

Because it’s summer.  That’s reason number three. Who doesn’t like a holiday that happens in the warmth and light of summer instead of the cold and dark of fall and winter? Okay… I know one person, but he’s an anomaly.

And lastly, I love the 4th of July because I’m not expected to ditch my friends and travel somewhere far away to be sequestered with my family. I can hang out with people I like and I don’t have to get them gifts and they don’t have to get me a gift and there’s no pressure - no stress. The only stress-inducer is deciding what side dish I should bring to the pot-luck, and that’s pretty mild in comparison to finding the perfect gift or wondering if we’re exchanging gifts and if we’re exchanging gifts, how much should I spend and will they like what I get them or will they re-gift it and I just can’t afford that whole gift-giving thing anyway, so it’s stressful.

So I like the Fourth of July because it’s just a happy celebratory day.

So - Happy Birthday, America!

                   Visit me on Twitter (@CeceliaHalbert






No comments:

Post a Comment